fun with tulip not autoloading

i'm using
00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 21)
and for some reason the tulip module that runs it wont load by default.

durning the base install (via network) i didn't find it in the list of
drivers to add, so just to try something, i dropped into a shell and typed
modprode tulip
exit
and then i could configure network and go on my merry way.  but after
rebooting it gave some network errors.  it again didn't load tulip, so as
root i typed
modprobe tulip
/etc/init.d/networking restart
and it seems fine now.  but for something that is going to be a headless
machine, this really isn't a workable solution.

can anyone dirrect me to what i need to change to fix it?