X crashes if I'm idle

Dear All

I'm running Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 on an IBM Thinkpad A31p.

X is in VESA mode, as the Thinkpad has unsupported Radeon video.

If I'm in X (Gnome) and I'm idle for a while (10 mins?) X crashes. The error messages seem to be to do with trying to run a screensaver. Now, I have xscreensaver installed, but opening Gnome Control Center's screensaver tab causes X to crash instantly. Same thing happens when xscreensaver is not installed. I'm happy not to have a screensaver, and/or for the screen to just go blank like it does when in console mode.

- Can I set up X to go 'blank screen' for its screensaver?

- Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Ivan