Re: GeForce4 MX

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 11:09:01PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 09:33:46PM -0600, Chris Burns wrote:
> > I just upgraded from a GeForceDDR to a GeForce4 MX and of course my XWindows
> > system stopped working.  I checked out the log, and it seems that the nv
> > driver i'm using only wants to work on nvidia cards up to the GeForce3, at
> > least taht's what the string listing the supported cards says.  Do i really
> > need a new driver, and if so, how do i get it and load it?
>
> I can't tell you if you really need a new driver or not but I have been
> having some problems myself. This is how I solved it:
>
> - my NVdriver is loaded as a module.
> 	- lsmod showed that after I updated my pcmcia-cs package the
> 	NVdriver was no longer loaded (no idea)

Woah, that's weird...

> 	- I may have been able to just insmod NVdriver to get it to
> 	  work; however, I didn't realize it at the time so I reinstalled
> 	  the driver
>
> INSTALL NVDRIVER based on:
> http://wojas.vvtp.tudelft.nl/acertm
> apt-get install nvidia-glx-src
> apt-get install nvidia-kernel-src

Yep.

> (This site also recommends installing nvidia-glx but I can't "find" the
> package. There's a reference to it in dpkg but it's no longer found. It
> doesn't /seem/ to matter...)

nvidia-glx is the package that gets built from nvidia-glx-src.  It
contains the new version of libGL, amongst other things.

> cd /usr/local/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123
> make

Did this really work?  Last time I played with these drivers, they
dropped tarballs in /usr/src/.  To build the kernel module, I just used
make-kpkg like normal, and to build the userland GL library I just cd'd
into it's dir and ran 'dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us'.

> Unfortunately I don't understand how to load the module automatically each
> time I restart my computer. Rumour has it you can do so by editing
> /etc/modules (note do not touch /etc/modules.conf)

Yep, you're right.

-rob