RE:GeForce4 MX

>Hey everyone,

>I just upgraded from a GeForceDDR to a GeForce4 MX and of course my XWindows
>system stopped working.  I checked out the log, and it seems that the nv
>driver i'm using only wants to work on nvidia cards up to the GeForce3, at
>least taht's what the string listing the supported cards says.  Do i really
>need a new driver, and if so, how do i get it and load it?

>Chris~
~~~~~~~~

Hi Chris,

I have GeForce4 MX card and I got it working by forst downloading the latest drivers from nvidia website.

I have not tried the nv driver, but I googled and the only alternative was vesa driver. It's your call, anyway.

This is what worked for me.

You will be downloading two files: nvidia-kernel and nvidia-GLX (there will be number next to it that has to be matched).

Please note that these are non-free (as in free speech), but they work (until someone writes a GPL implementation).

Download tarballs of course.

Once you download them, you can compile them by running make install.

After that comes the debian-specific step.

go to /etc/modules.conf and in the last line put as follows:

alias char-major-195 nvidia

This will get the card working.

Hope this helps.

Davor