Re: hard crash despite UPS

I disconnected the serial cable from the UPS to the PC, and apt-get
remove apcupsd.  Now when I pull the UPS plug from the wall the
computer keeps going.  Progress, though of course it no longer has a
way of knowing the power has failed.

When the system was on with the cable connected the green LED on the
UPS was off.  It went back on as Linux shutdown.  With the cable
disconnected, the LED stays one.  This tends to support theory #2
below.

I'm not quite sure what to do with this theory.  APC says the port
needs to be set for 2400 bps with FLOW XON/XOFF.  setserial stores
some configuration, namely /var/lib/setserial/autoserial.conf (I have
no /etc/serial.conf)
/dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A port 0x02f8 irq 3 baud_base 115200 spd_normal skip_test

setserial seems to have no XON related options, and, as I understand
it, doesn't actually set the hardware.  /proc/isapnp shows my
modem (which uses a serial port) and sound card, but I don't see
anything for the serial ports themselves.  How do I configure them?
(lspci also doesn't show serial ports).