Re: how to determine hd partitioning?

-- Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net> wrote
(on Wednesday, 22 January 2003, 01:19 PM -0500):
> On January 20, 2003 02:32 pm, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
>
> > Only problem is... the disk is a 40GB drive, and this older machine can
> > only handle drives up to 32GB. While I can see the partitioning and
> > access a good portion of the disk, I cannot get a large chunk of the
> > data off it that I need. I guess that'll teach me to back up to a hard
> > drive (instead of removable media)...
>
> Check if your motherboard manufacturer has BIOS updates for your board.  When
> I recently ran into the same problem I was pleasantly surprised to find out
> that ASUS had updates available to support large drives even though the board
> was approaching 4 years of age (perhaps even 5).

I was just about to reply to the list...

I needed, in order to get my alsa, lirc, and another driver working, to
compile a new kernel. As it turned out, when I started poking around in
my /boot directory, I discovered a number of inconsistencies -- the
System.map file was linking to a System.map from several kernels
previous, the wrong initrd.img was being used, etc. I installed the new
kernel, resolved these problems, and voila! the disk worked fine!

No need for a BIOS update -- while the BIOS won't recognize the drive
unless it's reporting a size of 32GB (there's a jumper for this; if I
don't have it on, the computer won't even boot), linux recognizes it
fine, now.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney