RE: minimal impact kernel upgrade

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 05:20:25PM +0000, Simon Tod wrote:
> > The current kernel I'm using on my laptop - "unname -r" gives just
> > 2.4.19 without any extensions (?) - doesn't support APM.
> Are you sure? :-)
> > All I'm really interested in doing is and "apt-get install
> > kernel-image-2.4.19-686" and following the instructions...
> BUT how can
> > I do this without screwing up all the stuff that works already like
> > the sound, pcmcia modem, cdrw, etc. - don't know how this lot was
> > configured in the first place as I didn't do the initial install.
> > Thanks in advance...

Sounds like you want to dig up a copy of the current kernel .config, and
have it as a reference.
If you have it, I'd recommend learning the debian way to make kernel
packages, which can be learned with man make-kpkg, but boils down to
unpacking the kernel source, then make-kpkg --revision your1 kernel-image
(or, if you want the whole kit & caboodle, change kernel-image to binary)

it's fun