Re: Hp 840c

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 09:32:16AM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
| Willem-Jan Meijer wrote:
| >Hello again,
| >
| >I'm using Debian / KDE 2.2.2 at my desktop for 3 weeks now, and I like it
| >very much, except that I can't print. What stuff / wich packages do I have
| >to install to get my HP 840c printer at the parallel port working? It runs
| >well in Caldera OpenLinux but I don't know how to get it work in Debian.
|
| Look in the peripherals section at http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/
|
| Cheers,
| --
| Chris Lale             <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>

i've gotten my hp 842c to work (parallel, not usb) with lpd and cups.
i had a hard time with lpd tho, and suggest cups.

i got the following from an "apt-cache search cups":

cupsys - Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
cupsys-client - Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client programs (SysV)
kdelibs3-cups - KDE print system (CUPS support)
libcupsys2 - Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
libqtcups2 - Qt interface library for CUPS
qtcups - Qt front-end for CUPS.

i cut out some i didn't use. i remember installing qtcups - but i never
used it. sounds like it might be good for you. cups is cool 'cause it
supports the hp deskjet's nicely. the server has a web interface on a
port number that i fogot... if you have a web server running you can
point your browser to http://localhost:<port number> and configure the
printer right there. it even prints full-color test pages!

good luck,
jason

--
Jason M. Harvey