renew expired certificate

Hi all,

on a machine a self-signed certificate expired recently. It was created
via mod-ssl-makecert (according to
/usr/doc/libapache-mod-ssl-doc/README.Debian.gz).

After googl'ing and reading HOWTOs I still don't know how to to renew it
(it shall have a new expiration date). For example, I tried
# openssl ca -ss_cert /etc/apache/ssl.crt/server.crt -days 1000
./demoCA/private/cakey.pem: No such file or directory

So it looks as if openssl is looking for a CA which doesn't exist. I
assume that my certificate has been created without a CA, just using my
text inputs for the issuer data.

How can I renew my certificate? (Note: I'm not interested in a new
certificate, but want to prolong the existing one.)

TIA

Stony