Re: Can't get sound to work (CMIxxxx)

At least some of the Debian kernel-image packages (I run
kernel-image-2.4.20-686) already contain many of the CMI drivers, so
compiling your own shouldn't be necessary:

# grep CMPCI /boot/config-2.4.20-686

CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_FM is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_MIDI is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_JOYSTICK=y
CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_CM8738=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_SPDIFINVERSE is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_SPDIFLOOP is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_SPEAKERS=2