Re: Sound problem after upgrading to testing

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 03:12:13PM -0500, AR wrote:
> After upgrading to testing from woody, I am unable to hear the sound
> track in mpg movies in xine,

What sound card do you have?  Most can only support one stream at a
time, so if you're using GNOME or KDE then esd or artsd will have stolen
it by the time you run a user app.  Try running this to see:

'fuser -v /dev/dsp'

If ESD (which GNOME uses) has taken it, then you need to either tell
xine to use an ESD-based audio output plugin, or use the 'esddsp'
program to fake it.

> or hear any music in cdrom drive. GnomeCd from gnome2 tells me  drive
> error when I start it with a Cd in the drive.

Did you upgrade your kernel?  Playing audio CDs is kinda tangental to
playing music using OSS, since most CD-ROM drives are directly hooked
into the soundcard via a special cable, and will work even if the CPU
has no power.  Can cdparanoia access the drive? 'cdparanoia -Bzv'
should start ripping whatever CD's in the drive...

> However, I am a member of the cdrom and audio groups. I am kind of
> clueless here.  Events have sound fine. mp32 can be heard. Does anyone
> have a clue?

I suspect this is an ESD-related problem, so try my suggestions above?

-rob