RE: debian on old powerbook?

>I have several old Apple Powerbooks (140, 145)
>They don;t have CD drives and I can't connect them to my dsl, because they
have no
>ethernet ports.

If those powerbooks have SCSI ports, then you might be able to connect a SCSI cdrom drive or alternatively another powerbook with cdrom drive using
scsi I think.
Othwerwise am sure they can be networked in some other way (AppleTalk I think, so that might be the go). This is slower, but it may work.

>How could I install Debian on them?  and Where do I find the Debian
>that is appropriate for that architecture?

That would be 68k architecture and debian has a port for that. Info is on port section on debian website.

>I'd like to use them for word processing, etc., in my classroom.

An issue would be the hard drive size I think as you will need to partition the HD and that won't leave you with much. If you want XFree you may have
to use some very light window manager or otherwise stick with no GUI.

Davor