Re: how to determine hd partitioning?

on Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 06:30:24PM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney (matthew@weierophinney.net) wrote:
> I had my *newest* computer's motherboard crap out on me Friday night,
> and I'm trying to grab the data from its hard drive. I've thrown it into
> my older machine, and it's being recognized fine as /dev/hdd -- but I
> can't remember its partitioning scheme, and thus don't know what
> partition(s) to mount and what fs they each use (it had dual-booted
> windows and debian before, hence the need for both partition and
> fs-type).
>
> How can I determine the drive's partition scheme?

gpart may be able to help you.

If you remember the partition sizes, you can try rebuilding the
partition table and mounting filesystems *READ ONLY*, which may succeed
in recovering some (or all) of your partitions.  This is not quite as
improbable as it sounds.

This is also a very good illustration of why you should keep vital
system information in a save place (preferably hardcopy and/or a
remotely accessible system).

I use a script "system-info" to provide this and other data:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/system-info

Peace.