Re: Ethernet Adapter Configuration

This one time, at band camp, Kevin Smith said:
> Anybody have an answer for this one?  Sorry for being persistence,
> just can't work it out.
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Well, Debian Linux 3.0r1 (powerpc) installed and working like a
> > dream, well just about anyway. ;)
> >
> > I'm trying to work out the ifconfig tool and how to assign more than
> > 1 IP address to the ethernet card.  I have an IP address assigned to
> > eth0, however, I don't know how to assign another IP address to it.
> >
> > This is (bizarrely enough) easy in Windows 2000 as I currently have
> > about 8 IPs on the ethernet card, but how do I do it with Linux?
> >
> > I thought I could do something like this: ifconfig eth1 up.  But it
> > reports: No such device.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Unless of course ifconfig is not infact the correct
> > tool...?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kevin

I'm not sure if you found your answer yet or not, but basically, you
make new stanzas in /etc/network/interfaces for each IP you listen on

auto eth0 eht0:1 eth0:2

iface eth0:1 inet static
    address x.x.x.x
    netmask x.x.x.x
    gateway x.x.x.x

iface eth0:2 inet dhcp

and so forth.  man interfaces for some more inventive things you can do
with your networking.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Blore's Razor:  Given a choice between  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | two theories, take the one which is     |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | funnier.                                |