Re: Drive errors

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 23:42, Pigeon wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 10:06:01AM -0500, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> > I have been running the same woody box for more then 2 years, and I
> > just got the following message:
> >
> > hda: timeout waiting for DMA
> > hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> > hda: timeout waiting for DMA
> > hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > hda: DMA disabled
> > ide0: reset: success
> >
> > I seem to remember (the archives were no help) that someone had
> > suggested that this may be a bad drive? Everything seems to be working
> > now, but if this drive is on it's way out, I would rather replace it
> > now before it's completely dead...
>
> I just had this (on a CD-RW rather than an HD). Ten minutes later the
> drive lost its ability to drive the sled and loading motors. It's
> completely f**ked now. So yeah, I'd be worried.

Same experience here : an old IDE hard drive began producing these
errors under load a few days before dying completely. Your disk is
probably going to die soon. Back it up NOW if you can, and maybe
throttle the backup so that it does not stress the disk too hard - a
final crash while backing up would sure be a pity.