Re: Queue Task Software on Linux ?

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 17:11, thannguy@cse.psu.edu wrote:
> I have a question about the task queuing handling in linux. I am doing
> some researches within a group and  everyone's task needs a lot of
> computation power and memory (around 500M per task). The machine we have
> has 2 Xeon processors at 2 GHz/each and 3gigs of memory, the OS is
> Debian Sid. However since each task requires too much resources even
> that machine can't handle it so I want to use a queue system so that
> everyone can submit the job but only two are kept running at a time . I
> know such stuff for parallel computing at linux cluster, but I don't
> know if there is such stuff for SMP. Is there some sort of softwares or
> a way to do such thing ?

You want what's variously called a "Job Scheduler" or "Queue Manager"
or "job spooler".

Very common in the MVS, VMS & "big, proprietary Unix" worlds.

Here's one, which is closed-source, and emulates the VMS Queue
Manager:
http://www.sector7.com/products/toolkits/vxjsp.htm
(Mainly to aide in VMS-Unix conversion, but should also help you.)

A job scheuler written in sh:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1229/sam9201d/9201d.htm

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |