Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2003 #185

Quoting anthony baldwin <mrbaldwin@school-library.net>:

> Hi, Folks,
> I'm a new Debian user with only about 9 months of redhat use for Linux
> experience in general.
> I have just installed a "a base system" on a machine I built,
> but could not mark packages on the package list, for some reason,
> and now have only a shell installed.
> I would like to have a gui, like kde, and be able to install
> more packages, but in the shell I do have, when I cd to /mnt/
> nothing is recognized there, with the cd in the drive, so I am
> not even able to see what is on the cds to install anything.
> Tried to $cd /mnt/cdrom (with deb cd in drive) and got no such directory
> message.
> I'm lost, but this system is useless to me if all I get is a
> terminal/shell.
> HELP!
>
> tony

Well, first of all, did you ever get your network setup? [1] If so, from
command line:

# apt-get install x-windows-system

then

# apt-get install kde

As far as what's going on with /mnt, debian (in my experience) does not
automount too much unless you tell it to, and the cdrom is in the root
directory under /cdrom, as is floppy IIRC (I'm at work and I don't remember.)
You'll have to edit /etc/fstab if you want to mount things. So maybe

# mount /cdrom
$ cd /cdrom
and then ls as you see fit :) I had no problem with Debian finding my cdrom the
first time around.

[1] If your network is not set up, we'll have to start somewhere else, so let
us know ;)

Erinn