dxr3 problems

I just bought a DXR3 DVD decoder for a machine that I hope to set up as
an ebox (http://eboxy.sourceforge.net). Unfortunately, I bought it via
eBay, and I have no installation manuals. While putting the card in the
computer is certainly easy enough, I'm not quite sure what exactly I
should be doing with the VGA loopback cable -- piping VGA output to the
DXR3, and then connecting the VGA from the DXR3 to my monitor, or
actually looping it back in on itself... or what? If anyone has this
working, I'd greatly appreciate some info -- pictures are especially
welcome.

Also, in trying to install the em8300 package (which provides support
for the DXR3), I had a number of problems getting it to install -- and
then discovered that the kernel module it's supposed to load wasn't even
installed. Anybody have luck with the Debian package, or is it
easier/better to grab the source?

TIA.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney