Re: Drive errors

hi ya matthew

- what is the length of your ide cables ??
- which drive is the "Master" ?? which ide connector is the Master ?
	- is the drive set to cable select or "fixed Master"
- i assume you have the new 80-conductor cables
- power the machine off... wiggle the cables... pull it off and replug it
  back in

- use only the same speed disk on the ide cable
	- ata66 drives only one cable
	- ata100 drives only on another cable
	- ata133 drives only on its cables

	- if you mix and match drive speeds... its a crap-shoot

- what is the ide chipset on the motherboard or pci ide cards ?
- what kernel options is enabled for the ide chipsets ?

- when copying data off this disk.. make a copy to a dfiferent disks
  other than your normal backups ...  no point in copying a failing
  disk to a "used to be good backup" until the last backups

- if you are using the IBM "deskstar" drives ( made in thailand)..
  than yes.. go buy a new disk "now"  and join the class action suit

c ya
alvin