Re: X11

Paul Winkler wrote:

I had a similiar problem with an ATI AIW 8500dv. I ended up upgrading to xfree86 4.2 from 4.1, (which necessitated an upgrade from "Woody" to "Testing") this fixed the problem, I specified the radeon driver.

Here is a link to the ATI website where they provide instructions on how to install a binary module in the kernel to support the 9000.
          http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html

This however involves an rpm package - the process looked to fraught with danger to me so I chose to upgrade to Xfree86 4.2 instead. Xfree86 4.3 will contain better support for accelerated 3D, but if all you need is 2d Xfree86 4.2 will work fine.

Paul Winkler

I thought so also, until I read ATI's HOWTO. The RPM converted easily with alien, then I performd a dpkg -i --force-ovrwrite, ran 2 scripts and then their Xfree setup utility. I had my 8500 running in less than 20 min, and that was with compiling a custom module for my 2.4.20 kernel. They are currently supporting X 4.1 and 4.2. I'm using the Radeon 8500 on testing with Xfree 4.2