Re: File too large problem

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 14:39, Craig Genner wrote:
> I just got this problem on a Mandrake box as it happens.  Using ext3 which I
> understood didn't have the 2GB limit.
> Hmm.

Could it be that the app itself is using 32-bit lseek?

~6 months ago, on a Woody-when-it-was-test box, running 2.4.1?,
and ext3, I tested python 2.1.x, and it easily created 4+GB files

> Craig
>
> On Thursday 16 Jan 2003 4:52 pm, berger@netmon.ch wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I got a weird (?) problem.
> > I got a machine with debian woody on it (Linux version 2.4.19 (root@flora)
> > (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)). I got with several tools
> > the problem, they can not handle files bigger than 2 GB. But the Kernel
> > seems okay, I also can create huge files over 2 GB. The tools I had this
> > problems are for example md5sum, gpart and mkisofs (creating an iso with a
> > file bigger than 2gb in it). I installed all of them via dselect. Whats
> > seems strange: if I copy mkisofs or md5sum from a SuSe-Box (Linux version
> > 2.2.16 (root@Pentium.suse.de) (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release))) to
> > the debian-box, the tools can handle huge files!
> >
> > Anyone got a clue?
> >
> > Thank you
> > D.Berger
| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |