Re: how to maintain /var on a debian system

Dave Sherohman wrote:

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 12:11:00AM -0500, nick lidakis wrote:
Yes, I usually clean once a while, but a recent upgrade neds 50+ MB and I;m short on space. I'll try the aforementioned recommendations.

Although moving your apt cache is probably the better solution, you
can also try this:

- `apt-get clean`
- `apt-get upgrade`, hit 'no' when asked if you're sure you want to
 do this
- `apt-get install <a handful of package names from the upgrade list>`
- Repeat until done

It's more work, but, if you're short of space system-wide, you can do
your upgrade a few packages at a time, cleaning out the package cache
after each batch, and get by on very little disk space for package
cache.  (Just so long as you don't run into any huge webs of
dependencies and conflicts, such as those seen in a libc upgrade...)

Thanks, that's exactly what I did and it worked. Maybe I'll have my debs go inot my home directory for future upgrades.

Thank you all for the great response.