Re: Mirroring Question

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:20:12AM -0600, Ray wrote:
> we have multiple machines here running debian, and to try to save bandwidth i
> followed the instructions for setting up rsyncing a debian mirror.  while
> looking at it i noticed a few odd things, i don't know if they are a problem
> or should be of any concern.  several of the folders are setgid (if i'm
> reading it correctly).  is this how it should be and why does it need to be
> setgid? (or am i reading it wrong and its something else, but whatever, its
> something other then the read/write/execute flags)
>
> like these in the /debian/
> drwxrwsr-x    4 root     root         4096 Jan 15 13:52 doc

Yep, those are sgid directories, just as you'd thought.  On a
directory, sgid causes newly-created items with the directory to
default to ownership by the directory's group rather than the
creator's group.  e.g., If I were a member of group root, I would be
able to create files in /debian/doc (since it's group writable), but
they would be owned by esper.root (the directory's group) instead of
esper.esper (my default group) like they would be if I created them
in, say, /tmp or another non-sgid directory.  (Note that home
directories are sgid by default in debian, also.)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that