MOUSE won't function

Hi everybody...

I've got the following problem: the mouse
doesn't react - that is, it works (on windows) but
Linux doesn't yet detect it or something;
I tried the following:

apt-get install hotplug

But it doesn't seem to help at all (I did a reboot to
be sure the change would be applied (as this has to do
with hardware) but it didn't do anything

During the installation I entered the following data
about the mouse:

Driver: mousedev (this one should have been loaded)
Device: /dev/mice/input

This is the information Redhat 8.0 told me about the
mouse.
I hope this may help you to tell me what's wrong &
what should be done.

If there is specific info needed, please tell me what
you need to know and how I can get to know it (like a
command which tells hardware info or where needed logs
are)

Thanks in advance!

Joris