Re: OT Aliasing Multiple Addresses in Mutt

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:00:35PM -0500, David Raeker-Jordan wrote:
> All of my entries in /etc/aliases associate one known user with one alias.
> What would one alias for many addresses look like?

like this--local users are listed by login (mailbox) name; remote
users are mbox@server.tld...

	# synonyms, u-pick-a the ones you-like-a:
	jerry:          mail@example.com
	buddy:          mail@example.com
	budreaux:       mail@example.com

	donnie:         donnieChristmas@somewhere.net
	xmas:           donnieChristmas@somewhere.net

	karen:          kat

	# easy broadcasts:
	staff:          mail@example.com,
					donnieChristmas@somewhere.net,
					kat,
					will

	jed:            mail@example.com,
					donniechristmas@somewhere.net

	# catch-all (when search_type = "lsearch*")
	*:              will

even cooler is having exim look up your domains in a text file,
and each domain can have its own unique aliases; so
buddy@here.net could be different than buddy@yonder.org.

<snip>
	local_domains = localhost:*mydomain.com:partial-lsearch;/etc/exim/DOMAINS
<snip>
	# check virtual hosts for aliases --
	#	virtual hostname-->alias file mapping is in /etc/exim/DOMAINS
	#	<alias>@<virtualhost>-->is in /etc/exim/<virtualhost> from DOMAINS
	#	and global default aliases '*: someone' is possible in each
	#	virtual host alias file, because we use 'search_type=lsearch*'
	virtual_aliases:
		driver = aliasfile
		domains = "partial-lsearch;/etc/exim/DOMAINS"
		file_transport = address_file
		pipe_transport = address_pipe
		file = /etc/exim/${domain_data}
		search_type = "lsearch*"
<snip>

and /etc/exim/DOMAINS looks like this:

	# *.domain.name         /etc/exim/<aliasfile>
	*.serensoft.com:        serensoft
	*.dontuthink.com:       dontuthink
	*.admincomputing.com:   admincomputing
	*.admincomputing.org:   admincomputing

so then /etc/exim/dontuthink looks like this:

	kat:        kat
	karen:      kat

	abuse:      will
	webmaster:  will
	wdt:        will

	*:          will

...i think, maybe, sort of, probably. ymmv. :)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #40 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Why are ROOT LOGINS EVIL? The main problem is this: if you have
a handful of trusted people who know the root password, you
can't tell -- not just by looking in the logs -- which one
logged in as root! But if you have them log in as themselves
first, they can "su" or "sudo" to get root privileges, and then
the logs will reflect who they actually are. To facilitate
this, empty out /etc/securetty (see /etc/pam.d/login for info).