Re: dpkg/apt problem: /var/lib/dpkg/status bad!

Magnus Therning said:
> Can I somehow recreate it? I get the following errors:
>
> # apt-get update
> [..]
> Reading Package Lists... Error!
> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
> E: Error occured while processing libgnomeprintui-0 (NewVersion1)
> E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened. # ls -l
> /var/lib/dpkg/status
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1198143 Jan 15 22:38
> /var/lib/dpkg/status

1) backup the status file
2) open the status file in the text editor of your choice
3) find the portion of the file that deals with libgnomeprintui-0 and
see if there is anything unusual there, compare with other entries maybe
theres a curropt line or missing some data or something. worst case is
I would delete the traces of that package from the status file and reinstall
that package. perhaps first finding what files belong to that package(via
packages.debian.org) and deleting those first before reinstalling(I've never
had this particular problem)

debian also keeps a backup of the status file itself  status-old, you
can try to overwrite the status file with status-old and see if that helps.
I reccomend again backing up the status file first.

nate