Re: RFC: an introduction to configuring sawfish

Here is the reply to my reply to the previously forwarded message.

hi

> May I post your email on my website?  I wish to record contributions
> and show critiques so that future reviewers can read what has been
> said and express agreement or disagreement.

yes, of course. you can use it as you like. i actually wanted to post it
to the whole mailing list but somehow i accidently replied directly to
you.

> To clarify, this is not a HOWTO.  It is a recipe, simple step-by-step
> instructions to achieve a particular configuration of sawfish, namely
> the configuration I like to use.
>
> As a recipe, it should be tasted first.  If you don't like the results
> of this recipe, you can go back and fiddle with it.  You can look for
> other recipies.  You can eventually make up your own recipies.  (I
> will add a section on undoing the changes made.)

ok, i agree. i've seen that you've already modified your version a bit.
there's one thing i want to mention: if you say
"This is a recipe, simple, step-by-step instructions to make a specific
configuration of sawfish, the one I use."
you should also say what kind of configuration you use, ie if it is
minimalistic, eye-candy or something like that. i know, one would notice
this while reading the recipe, but if i had a real recipe from you i'd
like to know what i am cooking before i actually start. and the
information that it is the meal that you like is nice, but still i'd
want to know what it is before i try it :)

> > why don't you mention both of them in 2 subsections? i also think
> > they
> > have both advantages and disadvantages. if you are not a programmer
> > and
> > do not like to fiddle around with config files, sawfish-ui is your
> > friend. on the other hand it can be much faster/shorter to do it
> > through
> > your ~/.sawfishrc.

while we are at links, why don't you offer a .sawfishrc file and two
theme.jl files to download with the conents you describe in your recipe.
users then would not have to copy paste & it, although they might learn
less this way. so maybe only put the links to the files at the bottom?

> > some links to howtos on how to configure xfree on debian/redhat etc
> > might be useful here.
>
> ~/.Xsession and configuring xfree are beyond the scope of the
> document.  I think experts will either know it or be able to figure it
> out, while it is too much information for novices.

especially because it is beyond the scope of the recipe you should add
links to other howtos/readmes where these topics are covered. after all
doing it the way how it is intended on your distribution should be the
prefered way to prevent possible problems in the future. the users can
then decide if the follow the links or ignore them.

> > the file should probably renamed first to custom.save or something
> > before deleting it at once. after the custom files has been renamed,
> > sawfish has to be restarted.
>
> I don't think it will help to save the file if sawfish always has
> problems starting up with it.

it doesnt help but you're on the save side not deleting any
configuration files. after all you have a problem and you _try_ to
delete the custom file to see if it works then. maybe the problem is
caused by other things and deleting it was in vain. you lose all
configurations done through sawfish-ui if you delete the custom file.
especially if you're a novice you should save old config files. you
never know when you need them again.

btw, you can save your current gnome session with a program called
"gnome-session-save". (should be included in gnome by default, try "man
gnome-session-save")

besides,

killall metacity && sleep 2 && nohup sawfish

might be better.. sleep prevents sawfish from starting too early and
nuhop detaches sawfish from the xterminal so one can close it. (and use
gnome-session-save afterwards [but before closing the terminal of
course])

greets,

CAiRO