Re: exim wierdness

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:00:21PM +0100, Rohan Nicholls wrote:
| I am finding a problem with exim.
|
| I have read many a manual, visited many a documentation site, with no
| joy.  Could anyone please point me in the right direction....
|
| If I have an email with a '.' in the "localhost" name (before the '@')
| it gives an error that the "localhost" name is invalid.
|
| This does not happen when the "localhost" name has no '.'.

That would be "local part", not "localhost".

| So:
|
| rohannicholls@informaat.nl - no problem (although this address doesn't
| exist)

Are you sure?  What is your user name on your machine and what domain
name did you set it up as?

| rohan.nicholls@informaat.nl - gives an error.

What error?  Show the exact error message -- there are dozens, if not
hundreds, of different reasons for seeing an error.

| This is a little urgent as I would like to use exim as my smtp mailer,
| because it doesn't mind if I am at work or at home it still delivers mail.:)
|
| But all the mail addresses at work involve the
| first-name.last-name@domain.end protocol, so I cannot send any mails to
| coworkers using mutt.

My guess, based on what you say here, is that you told exim it is
handling the "informaat.nl" domain.  That is wrong since you don't own
the domain informaat.nl and are not the administrator of that domain's
mail server.  Most likely you don't have an actual domain for your
machine.  When you configure exim, tell it the domain is
"localdomain.invalid" or something like that.  I would need to know
more about your network topology to know how the rest of the options
should be set for mail handling to work correctly.

-D

--
"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
impossible to accomplish complex actions."

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/