From: Tommaso Moroni [mailto:tommaso.m@tiscalinet.it]
Sent: 14 January 2003 13:42
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: problem setting up a local network

Tommaso Moroni wrote:
 > Hi!
 >
 > I'd like to install Debian on an old pc (hereafter called A) using an
 > ADSL connection I have on another PC (hereafter called B). The problem
 > is that after configuring the network on A it doesn't "see" B: the
 > interface is correctly configured but a simple ping to B fails.
 > I've already checked the addresses (A is 192.168.1.2, B is 192.168.1.1)
 > and I think the problem is the route table on B. In fact to manage the
 > ADSL connection I use the italian version of the drivers at
 > http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/. The command route on computer B gives this
 >  output:
 >
 > Kernel IP routing table
 > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
 > Iface
 > 192.168.100.1   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
 > ppp0
 > default         192.168.100.1   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
 > ppp0
 >
 > I think it lacks a default route for the eth0 interface, but I cannot
 > add it as there's already another one and it's needed for the ADSL to
work.

 > Thanks in advance for help!
 >
 > Tommaso Moroni

I've set up correctly B to do masquerading with iptables and I've added
a route for packets destined to the local network (192.168.1.0), but I
still can't even ping A from B and viceversa, and this seems a problem
related to the local network between the two PCs. And by the way I
changed the cable and the network cards but the problem remains!