problems with quotas

Hello,
  I am having troubles with quotas on my linux box. I am running the
kernel 2.4.20:
[nc21] ~ > cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.20 (root@nc21) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian
prerelease)) #1 Thu Jan 9 15:31:41 CET 2003

with quota support compiled in:
#
# File systems
#
CONFIG_QUOTA=y

Following the bug-report
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=161430), I
took the quota package from testing (quota-3.07-1) and tried to set the
quotas on one partition:
#
<pass>
/dev/hda2       /               ext2    errors=remount-ro       0       1
/dev/hda3       none            swap    sw                      0       0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
/dev/fd0        /floppy         vfat    user,noauto             0       0
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0
/dev/hda5       /home           ext2    defaults,usrquota       0       1
#/dev/hda6       /scratch        ext2    defaults                0       2

Then (after a reboot) I've set the quota=150000,limit=180000, however the
system allowed me to reach 192444. Now, even if I delete many files:
[nc21] ~ > du -s
123220  .

quota -v still gives the very old status:
Disk quotas for user davidek (uid 260):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
      /dev/hda5  192444* 150000  180000            2202       0       0

Please could anyone tell me what's wrong ? On another linux box (running
kernel 2.4.7 with the same settings as above and identical quota package)
quota -v also reports the maximal space occupied, however the grace period
started:
Disk quotas for user davidek (uid 1010):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
      /dev/hda4   10008*  10000   15000   2days     103       0       0
(current disk space occupied is:
ipnp:/home/davidek# du -s
3692    .

In addition, this system didn't allow me to occupy disk space of e.g.
12000, which I think should be possible for a short time (am I right ?)

Thanks for any hints,

best regards
           Tomas

 E-mail : davidek@ipnp.troja.mff.cuni.cz,