Re: How have I misconfigured DHCP?

    "Andrew" == Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu> writes:

    Andrew> socket: Protocol not available - make sure CONFIG_PACKET
    Andrew> (Packet socket) and CONFIG_FILTER (Socket Filtering) are
    Andrew> enabled in your kernel configuration!

    Andrew> However, they do appear to be enabled; from
    Andrew> /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/.config:

    Andrew> CONFIG_PACKET=y ...  CONFIG_FILTER=y

    Andrew> Any ideas?

Ah...one of the most common DHCP problems I've seen on this list.

The 2.4.18-k7 Debian kernel has

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=m
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_FILTER=y

I'm not sure how important CONFIG_NETFILTER is, but perhaps you need
it set too.....

If dhclient tells you those options are not set, then they probably
are not set in the running kernel, whatever you config file says ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal