Re: How have I misconfigured DHCP?

    "Andrew" == Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu> writes:

    Andrew> I'm moving to a DHCP arrangement for my home network. I've
    Andrew> set up the DHCP server, and it responds appropriately to
    Andrew> requests from two of the three other computers on the
    Andrew> network (one debian, one WinXP).  From the other debian
    Andrew> computer on the network, it responds if I manually do:

    Andrew> pump -i eth0

    Andrew> but on startup it doesn't obtain an address.  Therfore, of
    Andrew> course, services depending on the address (openAFS, NFS
    Andrew> mounts) don't start either.

    Andrew> Here's /etc/network/interfaces:

The file looks good.

    Andrew> joehill:/var/log# pump -i eth0
    Andrew> joehill:/var/log# ifconfig
    Andrew> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:20:ED:46:5A:E4
    Andrew>      inet addr:192.168.0.14 Bcast:192.168.0.255

Hmmm....it looks like 'ifup -a' did not start pump like it
should. What happens if you do 'ifup eth0' instead of running pump
manually? What does /etc/network/ifstate say after you boot but eth0
did not get a dhcp address?

Finally, 'man interfaces' says that pump is only supported on 2.2.x
kernels. Perhaps that is the clue you are looking for? I don't know if
the man page is truthful because I do not use pump.

I'm sorry I have no answers, only questions ;-) I hope this will get
you on the right track.

Cheers!
Shyamal