Lilo problem

Hi all,

I copied a working debian installation from one hard disk to another, except
i had to make a new kernel and install it.

I copied the new bzImage into /boot, and updated lilo.conf. /boot contains
the new kernel and nothing else.

When i run lilo, it gives an error message:
  Fatal: open /boot/boot-menu.b: No such file or directory

I thought lilo was meant to create this boot loader.

/boot is in its own 50MB partition on hda1, and root is hda3.
I can't see anything wrong with the way the file systems are
mounted.