Re: How Can I Switch to System-V ?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:38:36AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I'm not sure about the names.  The one computer which was using this
> system wrote 'I see you are using System-V' when I ran the linux-wlan-ng
> configuration and I thought it was editing the runlevel.conf file.

ok, a quick rundown:

sysv is the (debian default) system that uses

/etc/init.d
/etc/rc2.d (et c)
and starts and stops scripts with scripts like
/etc/rc2.d/S99fooservice

the file-rc (or bsd-ish) init system has
a single /etc/init.d directory, and a single flat
file that says which services to start.

the former is arguably a little more flexible than the latter, but at
the expense of being more complicated.

	sean