Re: How have I misconfigured DHCP?

on Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:21:39AM -0500, Andrew Perrin wrote about How have I misconfigured DHCP?:
> I'm moving to a DHCP arrangement for my home network. I've set up the DHCP
> server, and it responds appropriately to requests from two of the three
> other computers on the network (one debian, one WinXP).  From the other
> debian computer on the network, it responds if I manually do:
>
> pump -i eth0
>
> but on startup it doesn't obtain an address.  Therfore, of course,
> services depending on the address (openAFS, NFS mounts) don't start
> either.

Things to check:

       - Is pump started when the system boots i.e. ls -l
         /etc/rc?.d/*pump*
       - Check dmesg output
       - Check /var/log/messages
       - Sniff DHCP (actually BOOTP) traffic on your DHCP server while
         your machine boots

Things I noticed with DHCP clients:

- pump: does not try long enough (even when changing the parameters)
  to obtain an address

- dhcpcd: seems to loose its address after being up for about a month

I switched to udhcpc, which works really good. Moreover, it is quite
small.

--
lenaerts.frank@pandora.be

Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
-- Henry Spencer