Re: what can be done with broken packages

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:21:39AM +0100, Roland Wegmann wrote:

| What does a broken package mean?

I believe that if a preinst/postinst script fails the package will be
considered broken (in addition to forcing the dependencies to be
broken).

| And how can I made a package 'unbroken'?

    apt-get -f upgrade
or
    apt-get -f install

-f means "fix".

If, for example, the postinst script is buggy that may not actually
work.  In that case you need to "fix" the script one way or another
(either really fix the script, or just put "exit 0" at the top so the
failure isn't detected; only do that if you really think your system
is fine and/or you are willing to deal with potential problems later)

-D

--
What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his
soul?  Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/