Re: Kernel help - ICH4 (82801DB) onboard sound

On a sidenote, has anyone found a way to get DMA working with the ICH4
and a 2.4 kernel?

Paul W sez:
} I've now found that I may be able to get sound using a kernel 2.5.11
} or above (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/linux/audio.htm), is
} there a specific version that anyone could recommend?

I've been using ALSA under 2.4.19 with the 82801DB with great success.
Try ALSA before using an unstable development kernel. The reason 2.5 can
get sound out of ICH4 is that ALSA has been accepted as part of the
kernel source. You'll want to apt-get install alsa-source.

} Also I've only ever used kernel sources supplied with the distribution
} before, is there a deb package I need and a debian specific procedure
} or should I just RTFM and post again when I've buggered it up?

Someone already mentioned kernel-package, which provides make-kpkg. If
you don't already have it installed, install the appropriate
kernel-source or kernel-headers package for your current kernel. (If you
use kernel-source then you will have to go to the /usr/src directory and
tar xjf the archive the package installs.) Once you have that and the
alsa-source package installed, unpack the alsa-source archive in the
/usr/src directory (it will create a modules directory). All you should
need to do at that point is make-kpkg modules_image to produce an
installable .deb in /usr/src. The alsa-source install will let you
choose your sound card, incidentally.

} Thanks
} Paul
--Greg