Re: cloning my debian install onto my new hard disk?

Johan Ehnberg <johan@ehnberg.net> writes:

> There are a few important steps. I did this on my little server and it
> worked just the way it should. Read
>
> http://www.storm.ca/~yan/Hard-Disk-Upgrade.html
>
> and follow the instructions there. It's very straight-forward and not
> too difficult. Takes some time, though.

     I used to use the cp -ax method with great success, but more
recently the -x option doesn't work.  The following is copied from my
bug report #168685:

> cp -ax <target> <dest> does not restrict the copy to one files
> system.  If target is /, cp copies /home, even if it is on a separate
> file system, and tries to copy /proc.  Copying /proc fails, and stops
> the copy.
>
> cp -a -x gives the same result as cp -ax.
>
> This problem is not new with the current version.  I have experienced
> it frequently in the past, but have been too lazy to file a report.

     Because of this issue, I had to use "find / -xdev | cpio -vdump /mnt"
for my last system copy.

Regards,

Bob
--