Re: How to make Alt GNU Emacs Meta?

Adam <ack94598@yahoo.com> [2003-01-10 22:28:14 -0800]:
> In the current stable release of debian, GNU Emacs uses the Windows key
> as Meta instead of Alt.  I am told this is not true for other linux
> distributions or other releases of debian.  How can I fix this?  If I
> have to I can make an .xmodmap but I would rather not.  If there is some
> package I can upgrade to testing or unstable I am willing to do that.

I have noticed that too.  But it is related to the keyboard you chose
when you installed.  If you said you had a pc102 then the windows key
is not available and you get normal meta operation on alt.  If you
said pc104 then it configures the windows key as meta.  I believe this
had to do with preserving the functionality of the alt key for other
purposes.

So presumably you could rerun 'dpkg-reconfigure' again and change the
keyboard.  But I don't know the correct packge off of the top of my
head.  Oh well, you can just change the configuration file by hand.
Here is mine.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
                                         ^^^^^ pc102 -- means meta on alt
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^ Evil capslock to control
EndSection

> Please send email as I do not subscribe to this list.  Thanks,
> Adam

It would be advised to set a Mail-Followups-To: header to yourself and
the list both in that case so that good mailers will automatically do
the right thing.

Bob