Re: Home LAN email setup. Do you love yours?

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 07:10:46AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:

>  o Can I use IMAP and still have access to my large collection of
>  email?

Yes, I have an on going archive of several lists that date back months.

>  o Is there a tool that will auto-archive old mail, make it
>  searchable, and still available to the mail clients?

This depends a bit on what level of "ease of use" your looking for.  A
good tool for this may be lurker (lurker.sf.net).

>  o how should a secodary MX be setup?

If this will be a domain mail server, yes.

> Part of this is probably, should I use mailbox or Maildir?

IMHO, Maildir.

> IMAP?

Absolutely.  It goes very well with your above statement "Any client
should be able to see the same folder layout".

> I like the idea of IMAP, but I have huge mailboxes.  I currently have
> about 60,000 messages in my mailboxes with a few mailboxes that are in
> the 5,000 to 10,000 message range.  I fear IMAP would be very slow.

It's a bit of a trade off.  Some of my lists were stored in a single
folder and they grew to >10,000 messages.  Folders of this size can be a
bit slow over IMAP.  However, if you start archiving your messages into
dated folders it can help.

You could also use IMAP with an offline sync application, such as isync
or offlineimap.

> Tracking sent mail:
>
> This is more about mail clients, perhaps, but one thing I liked about
> Eudora was that if I replied to a message a copy of my reply was
> stored in the same mailbox, in addition to the outbox.

Mutt can be configured to do so.

--
Jamin W. Collins