Re: Making music

On 9 Jan 03 10:31:01 GMT, I wrote:

> I've got sheet music for some 19th century military bugle calls and
> I'd like to hear what they sound like and maybe create .wavs to put
> on a web site. I'm looking for some combination of software that will
> allow me to enter the score for each call and then say 'play this on
> a bugle'. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I'm basically musically
> illiterate.

Many thanks for the suggestions. I've gone with rosegarden for editing
scores and timidity for playback. I'm also looking at denemo.

For the record, I have installed rosegarden, timidity and
timidity-patches (unstable versions). I run timidity with the -iA
option to act as an ALSA sequencer client. When I run the rosegarden
sequencer it automagically detects it and uses it for MIDI output. I
use the trumpet patch (number 56) from timidity-patches to represent
the bugle, since a bugle is supposedly just a trumpet without valves.

It took me a little while to work out that rosegarden expects it's own
files to have .rose extensions and MIDI files to have .mid extensions;
makes the file requesters a bit more useful. The scores I'm working
from were printed in 1806 so they are in modern notation with what
appear to be a few anacronisms. For example, 4/4 time is often
represented by a "C" after the clef (for "common time" I presume). Some
have no time notation but from the placement of bars appear to be in
2/4, 4/4 and even 9/4[1] time. I'm having a fun time with google
researching musical notation.

Once I've got a good-sized collection together I'll put the MIDI files
and corresponding .oggs on the web if anyone's interested in checking
them out.

[1] 9/4 or "perfect" time. See, I'm not so musically illiterate
anymore.

Frank
--
Home Page: <URL:http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fjc/>