From: martin f krafft [mailto:madduck@debian.org]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 6:11 PM
To: debian users
Subject: restricting wireless access

i have a cheap-ass wireless access point which doesn't even do MAC-based
authentication, and neither can I get WEP64 to work between it (Addtron
AWS-110) and the Orinoco Silver card.

I would like to have wireless in my appartment, but I need to prevent folks
on the street from linking into the network. The question is how. I want to
prevent them from using my internet connection just as much as accessing
local computers behind the firewall.

Is there a tools that will send TCP resets to anything coming from an
unknown MAC address? this isn't 100% secure, but it's better than nothing.
Or is there a tool that uses a client program to establish the identity of
the host (like they have in some internet cafes to prevent you from using
the cables for laptops, even if you change the MAC), and if someone connects
without the client program, then s/he is TCP reset for every packet sent?

or is there a better solution? maybe someone can help me get WEP to work...

--
Please do not CC me! Mutt (www.mutt.org) can handle this automatically.

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc