Re: lsof +L1 - mysql.err.1 unlinked ...

Hello

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 11:25:18PM +0100, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> >I have always these mysql.err.1 files not unlinked in all my
> >mysqlservers, and only a mysqld restart resolve these (nor reload
> >neither mysqladmin refresh doesn't unlink them).

The err file is created by safe_mysqld to catch the output mysqld
produces when it cannot start. As mysqld outputs to stderr on errors,
too, everything is appended to that file in the nohup line, too.
So there's currently the problem whether never to rotate it or to loose
the errors messages. I change the behaviour of the Debian package to
not rotating now. A better fix is coming hopefully, I already proposed
some possible solutions to the packagers@lists.mysql.com list
(reopening the file in flush-logs or using syslog).

bye,

-christian-
(maintainer of Debian mysql package)