Re: [Q] "local mirrors", apt-move

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 07:54:33AM -0500, kynn@panix.com wrote:

>   1. An explanation of what's exactly meant by the term "local
>      mirror", as in the sentence "install without connection to the
>      Internet, using a local packages mirror for both the Debian
>      package sources and the security updates" (quoted from the
>      Securing Debian HOWTO).

The idea behind that statement, as I see it, is simply to limit your
systems exposure to the Internet in a potentially vulnerable state.  If
you have CDs to install from (minus security updates) and take steps to
harden your system (disable services that aren't needed, set up a
firewall, etc) then you're fairly well protected and should be able to
connect to the Internet to retrieve the security updates.

>   2. A URL where I can download the security updates CD images from.

TMK, there is no such place.

>   3. A step-by-step recipe for using apt-move to make the CD images of
>      the security updates distribution.

If you want to locally mirror security updates, I suggest either an FTP
mirror application or rsync.

>   5. Directions to a detailed description of Debian's distributions
>      scheme, showing the meaning/rationale for its mirror sites
>      directory structure.

Not sure if this is the most up to date source:

   http://ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/giles/repository/repository.html

--
Jamin W. Collins