Re: Mail server and iptables/exim

Stephen Gran was roused into action on 2003-01-09 21:48 and wrote:
This one time, at band camp, David P James said:

I sshed to my brother's Redhat server and did the telnet my.host.ip 25 thing back to my server; the connection timed out. I tried a few other ports (21, 80, 22, 110) and got a connection quite quickly.

Then apparently iptables is DROPping connections to that port - fix that
and we'll move from there.

Interesting... why would it be dropping smtp and not any of the others, like ftp?

I just want to make sure I don't go nuts opening things up willy-nilly here; this is what I was thinking of having looked at a multitude of firewall scripts online:

# iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp -d 24.x.y.z --destination-port 25 -j ACCEPT # iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth1 -p tcp -d 24.x.y.z --destination-port 25 -j ACCEPT

where eth1 is the external interface.

--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV