Re: Recommendation for dual head video card

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, David Z Maze wrote:

> :0.0 is an NVidia GeForce2 card, and using the NVidia magic drivers, I
> get fairly nice OpenGL performance.  :0.1 is a cheap card (an S3
> Trio3D, I think);

I have a Nvidia GeForce2 TI.

It was a debate when I bought that card because of no open source drivers.
At that time I think one argument was how well it was supported in X.

Are there makes/types of cards that are really well supported under X vs.
others that are not, or is that much less of an issue these days?  I have
a feeling I'll just buy one at some store I happend to be walking by. I've
seen that look the sales staff gives when you ask "Is this card well
supported under X?"

BTW -- I was trying to switch from my nvidia driver to nv the other day
for testing and X wouldn't start (I changed the driver plus the modules
Nvidia README says to change).  I suppose it's the libGL library here:

/usr/share/nvidia-glx/diversions-X11R6/libGL.a
/usr/share/nvidia-glx/diversions/libGL.a
/usr/share/nvidia-glx/diversions/libGLcore.a
/usr/share/nvidia-glx/diversions/libglx.a

Odd that I couldn't just change the driver to nv and have it work.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org