Re: USB Mouse

Daniel L. Miller said:
> Is there a known problem with using a USB mouse?  My particular
> configuration is a FIC motherboard for an AMD 750 Athlon (older VIA
> chipset), connected to a ViewSonic monitor's (P815) USB hub, with a
> Microsoft Optical Trackball.
>
> After a variable period of time, the mouse will cease functioning and I
> cannot re-enable it without re-booting.

does it happen when you plug directly into the port rather then a hub,
what does the kernel log say if anything? Some older VIA chipsets had
USB problems but your athlon is several years newer then the ones I
encountered with issues(socket 7 era).

I use a couple USB trackballs(Logitech). One goes through a hub, the other
does not, never had a problem. Perhaps theres an IRQ conflict or other
conflict with your USB controller. Check /proc/interrupts

do you use any other USB devices, do they experience similar behavior?

the log informaiton is usually stored in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages

nate