Re: pppoe and dsl on debian

#include <hallo.h>
* Brenda J. Butler [Thu, Jan 09 2003, 11:25:03AM]:
> However, debian has modified the rp-pppoe setup to suit
> itself.  rp-pppoe comes with scripts such as adsl-start,

adsl-start is Redhat-specific. We have "pppoeconf" which should already
be on your system.

> Jan  9 10:39:56 seal pppoe[12969]: PADS: Service-Name: ''
> Jan  9 10:39:56 seal pppoe[12969]: PPP session is 6497
> Jan  9 10:39:59 seal pppd[12966]: Couldn't set pass-filter in kernel: Invalid argument

Where comes this kernel from? OTOH may be an irrelevant warning message.

> Jan  9 10:39:59 seal pppd[12966]: LCP terminated by peer
> Jan  9 10:39:59 seal pppoe[12969]: Session terminated -- received PADT from peerJan  9 10:39:59 seal pppd[12966]: Modem hangup

PADT - your ISP told your modem to terminate. Maybe wrong login data.

> While the connection is getting established, I can see that both
> pppd and pppoe are running, however the ifconfig never shows
> an ip address for eth0.

We fixed rp-pppoe stupidity (demanding on active eth interface), pppoe
activates eth0 when needed.

> I've turned on pppoe debugging and looked at the packets,

pppoe layer is probabyl not your problem?

> it never gets to the point where it tries to do authentication
> (at least, I never see a username/password packet(s))

Enable pppd-Debugging.

> Please don't tell me to upgrade my rp-pppoe, the latest package
> in debian is 3.3 and I want to use debian.  Also, I've looked

That's okay. If your ISP uses chap authentication, copy the password to
chap-secrets file.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Windows-Air:
Der Check-In ist super-einfach, das Terminal bunt, die Angestellten alle