Re: Making music

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 04:31, Frank Copeland wrote:
> I've got sheet music for some 19th century military bugle calls and I'd
> like to hear what they sound like and maybe create .wavs to put on a
> web site. I'm looking for some combination of software that will allow
> me to enter the score for each call and then say 'play this on a
> bugle'. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I'm basically musically
> illiterate.

Yup, it's called MIDI. :) If you know enough about music to read the
scores, you essentially know enough to write out a MIDI file by hand. I
would, however, suggest using some sort of a GUI tool to make it a bit
easier. Unfortunately, I haven't done any MIDI work in years, definitely
not since I switched over to Linux, so I couldn't recommend any Linux
tools for the job though I am sure they exist. Good luck. :)

-Alex