Re: Completely Virtual Mail Server

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:59:35PM +0000, Lee W wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I am trying to create a completely virtual mail server (i.e. no shell
| accounts).
|
| If itself this is not a problem as Postfix is capable of doing this
| however, I wish to add a slight twist to the query.  Is it possible to
| do Filtering as well.
|
| I have STFW and searched the archives and come up with the usual
| suggestions of using Postfix+Courier-IMAP+sqWebmail and similar
| combinations, however they tend to break once you include procmail or
| Maildrop.
|
| Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem?

I haven't, but here are a couple of things that might help you
(in no particular order) :

    maildrop is capable of operating in "virtual" mode.  It runs as
    some (dedicated) unix user and handles deliveries for multiple
    virtual users.
        http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/maildrop.html#aen295

    The cyrus imap server has a filtering mechanism called "sieve".
    Since cyrus stores all messages in its own message store not
    relying on the unix filesystem for ownership and permissions it
    seems like it would work well for virtual users.

HTH,
-D

--
"Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more
security than wiping with decimal values." -- Norton SystemWorks 2002 Manual

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/